7.03.2011

Pencil vs. Pixel

Since my third quarter with Design Communications at UCLA Extension has come to a close, I have been spending my time enjoying the summer and putting new projects into motion. This past quarter was the most rewarding for me in so many ways. Since joining the program I have gained so many skills to take my photography and art to the next level. However, this past spring gave me so much more than that.
Part of the reason I began the program in the first place was because I felt that art was becoming so digitally driven and that my traditional by hand methods were becoming obsolete and outdated. So in an effort to stay artistically compeditive, I began courses in Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and the like. Over the first two quarters I learned that great art can still be created entirely in digital format and personal style can still translate through a mouse with a little practice and tons of patience. However, this past quarter I learned that I was wrong about the digital progression of art.
Typography Assignment: Hand Lettering

Even though digital methods are an amazing tool, I found that many of the best artists out there are still beginning work entirely by hand; and in many cases, only using digital methods for final touches and production. Artists are still current and will continue to be regardless of their medium because when it comes down to it, it's always going to be about the ideas. The realization that work by hand will never be replaced entirely by computerized tools has sparked a deep resonating creative breakthrough. Now I fully feel that I am not becoming obsolete and being able to draw and paint really is an amazing talent to posses. I feel lucky and energized that I've come to this understanding at this point in my career. While I take a break from classes this summer to process this,  I look forward to starting the Fall quarter with a whole new outlook on art and creativity, which I'm certain will directly contribute to gaining even more out of my future classes.

No comments: