7.12.2012

Fireworks!

    
     For myself, this past Independence Day was no typical holiday. This year, a friend of mine who is a professional firework technician invited me to photograph their spectacular show from the firing line. I have always loved fireworks since I was a child and always loved lying on a blanket in the grass looking up into the sky admiring the glittery explosions. This year I was not lounging on my blanket in the grass feeling the cool summer breeze, but instead I was suited up in hot and bulky protective gear complete with a helmet and gloves.
      I felt the adrenaline building before the show. The firework launchers were incredibly excited considering this Porter Ranch show was entirely hand fired. I felt lucky to be part of this rare experience, especially since hand fired shows are few these days. As the countdown begins I'm becoming excited too, but scared to find out why I needed to suit up to such an extent. As the first firework is lit and launched, I get startled but instantly begin shooting. The 20 minute show breezes by and my camera does not get a break the entire time. Burning embers are falling on me and occasionally hit me in the face. Though they are flaming hot they are also one of the most beautiful things I've seen. I could have shot photographs of the firing for hours even with the headache from all the smoke. I hope I'll get the opportunity again soon.

     Please view my album here.

No comments: